Broomhill Hospital (UK) July 2012
Opened in 1876 by the efforts of local philanthropist Beatrice Clugston, Broomhill Hospital was a "Home for Incurables", catering to patients suffering from such illnesses as Cancer, Chronic Rheumatism, Parkinson's, Multiple Sclerosis, Syringomyelia, Huntington's, brain damage, Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, etc. A separate hospital, Lanfine, was built on the grounds as a Tuberculosis sanatorium and opened in 1904. Further additions included an Occupational Therapy unit in 1971 and Physiotherapy Unit in 1972.
In 1981 a series of damning articles in the press criticised the care available to the "Young Chronic Sick" (as the patients were now referred to - although many were in fact elderly). Being the largest hospital of its type in Scotland, with a bed compliment of 112, Broomhill was singled out and was likened to a "people repository" and a "prison", and it was emphasised that young disabled people should be in sheltered or ambulant disabled housing as oppose to being dehumanised by losing all independence and sharing wards with the elderly terminally ill. Changes were eventually made, both in Broomhill and society at large, and the hospital provided care and rehabilitation to the severely debilitated until it's closure in 1995. Interestingly, it was also originally Scotland's primary hospital in the study and treatment of patients with CJD.